Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway
York Civil has been awarded the contract to design and construct the dedicated Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway in Western Australia. The bridge and busway, which will be constructed from the current James Street bus bridge to Charles Street over the Graham Farmer Freeway, is scheduled to commence in April and will deliver significant travel time savings for commuters. Bus lanes will also be constructed along Charles Street.
The scope of works includes;
- Construction of bus lanes along Charles Street and approximately 500m of busway commencing at Charles Street/Newcastle Street intersection, which connects to the Perth Busport via the existing James Street bus bridge;
- Construction of a 120m bridge over Graham Farmer Freeway;
- A new off-ramp onto Roe Street to replace the James Street off ramp from Mitchell Freeway
- An increased turn pocket at the Freeway Charles Street exit ramp;
- Reconfiguration of the Charles Street/Carr Street intersection;
- Minor improvements to the Wellington Street off ramp; and
- Minor intersection improvements to the Newcastle Street/Cleaver Street intersection
The project is expected to create between 50 to 60 jobs and is due for completion early in 2017.
*Photo provided by Main Roads Western Australia