Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway
York Civil has been awarded the contract to design and construct the dedicated Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway in Western Australia. The bridge and busway, which was constructed from the current James Street bus bridge to Charles Street over the Graham Farmer Freeway, will deliver significant travel time savings for commuters. Bus lanes were also constructed along Charles Street as part of the project.
The scope of works included;
- Construction of bus lanes along Charles Street and approximately 500m of busway commencing at Charles Street/Newcastle Street intersection, which connects to the Perth Busport via the existing James Street bus bridge;
- Construction of a 120m bridge over Graham Farmer Freeway;
- A new off-ramp onto Roe Street to replace the James Street off ramp from Mitchell Freeway
- An increased turn pocket at the Freeway Charles Street exit ramp;
- Reconfiguration of the Charles Street/Carr Street intersection;
- Minor improvements to the Wellington Street off ramp; and
- Minor intersection improvements to the Newcastle Street/Cleaver Street intersection
The project create local jobs and was completed in July 2017.
*Photo provided by Main Roads Western Australia