Main South Road Upgrade – Malpas Road to Old Coach Road, Aldinga
York Civil has been awarded the contract for the Malpas Road to Old Coach Road section of the Main South Road Upgrade at Aldinga. The contract involves widening and realignment of Main South Road, construction of a new roundabout, and upgrades to the Malpas Road intersection.
Main South Road, between Old Coach Road and Malpas Road, has annual average daily traffic of approximately 17,900 vehicles per day with 78 per cent of crashes occurring at intersections. The project aims to improve safety, with a focus on reducing the number and severity of crashes on the road, and to prepare the road for future traffic increases and improved traffic flow.
The project will deliver the following safety improvements:
- A new single lane roundabout at the junction of Port Road and Main South Road with a dedicated left slip lane for northbound vehicles from Port Road. Flour Mill Road will remain closed
- U-turn facility north of Malpas Road
- A two metre wide centre traffic median between Port Road and Malpas Road with central wire rope safety barrier.
- Extension of the Main South Road left turning lane into Malpas Road.
- Road widening and resurfacing, improved road lighting, road signage and line marking.
- Removing right turn movements in and out of Little Road at Main South Road.
- A shared user path crossing at Main South Road to facilitate cycling and walking between Aldinga and Willunga.
- Pedestrian and cyclist access improvements at the roundabout.
- Reinstating left turn movements out of Old Coach Road at Main South Road.
A video from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure’s (project page linked in Further Information below) provides an overview of the proposed works: